In this course, I'd like to show you a few sketching techniques I've used throughout the years as an industrial designer.
These techniques aren't very common in design sketching school books. I've picked them up from friends and colleagues from different background in the design industry and compiled them into this course.
Who is this course for?
This course is for you who want to develop your sketching skills. Maybe you're a fashion designer or industrial design student who use sketching to visualize your ideas or maybe you're just starting out and want to learn the basics of design sketching, then this course is for you.
What will I learn in this course?
You will learn how to improve your line quality, exercises for sketching smooth lines and curves, how to sketch a perfect circle free hand, practice ellipses in perspective, introduction to product design sketching, form idea generation, how to use simple geometries to simplify the design process and so much more!
Thank you for taking interest in my course, I hope to see you inside.
- Introduction. Design sketching is a great way to quickly get your ideas out of your head and onto paper. In this series of easy-to-follow drawing tutorials, Marouane Bembil shares his sketching tips to help you develop the skills you need for fashion or industrial design. Watch over his shoulder as he shows you how to draw fundamental shapes that help simplify the design process and improve your sketching techniques.
- The basic tools used in this course. Marouane favors using a simple ballpoint pen for his sketches, however, the tips he gives you can be equally applied to graphite drawing. You’ll start with a scrap of paper and watch as he demonstrates a few ways to warm up your drawing hand and get you ready to sketch.
- Struggling sketching straight, smooth lines? Try this. If you always seem to have problems drawing straight lines, Marouane has some tricks to help you improve your technique. With just a few adjustments, you should see immediate improvement in your line quality.
- Accuracy practice - Learn to sketch perfect curves. Curves can be especially challenging, but Marouane’s “ghost sketching” tip can show you how to practice drawing perfect curves with just a little effort.
- The easy way to draw circles. Sometimes you don’t want to break your rhythm by reaching for the circle template, and here Marouane demonstrates how your body position can help you draw a nearly perfect circle.
- Ellipse practice from narrow to wide, what to think about. Putting all of these together, you will then move on to drawing ellipses at different widths to create depth in your sketches.
- Basic perspective exercise and how to easily sketch radiuses. Starting with simple squares, you’ll learn how to easily add perspective as well as a quick way to add radiuses for rounded corners.
- Combining basic elements to design products. Now it's time to put them all together to quickly sketch out a few imaginary products. Marouane shows you how to start simply and work your way into more complex shapes.
- How to use lines to visualize shading and shadows. Shading can help add depth to your drawing, and Marouane demonstrates two methods to add lines shading; plane shading and crosshatching. Use one or both in combination to define 3D shapes for the viewer.
- Transportation design proportions - SUV. Using those same simple shapes, you will make a simple drawing of boxes that correctly show the proportions of an SUV. Once that’s done, you will create your sketch inside those boxes to keep yourself on track.
- Transportation design proportions - Minivan. That same technique can also be applied to minivans with just a slight alteration in the ratios. Marouane shares his insights on how to break complex vehicle shapes down into their basic building blocks.
- Transportation design proportions - Sports car. At last, you’re ready to design the next supercar. Though they differ in shape and size to SUVs and minivans, to sketch a sports car, you will still rely on the same tricks to get the proportion and scale correctly.
Marouane is an industrial designer and online teacher from Stockholm, Sweden currently living in the sunshine state of Florida. He has taught over 30.000 successful students from around the world the art of design sketching.
He's worked as an industrial designer, concept artist, illustrator and online teacher for over 10 years which sometimes makes him feel pretty old.
He has a master degree in automotive design and a bachelors degree in industrial design.
Some of his designs have been featured online and in numerous magazines such as Auto Motor & Sport, Auto Express, Car Magazine, Top Speed and Car Scoop.
You can get to know Marouane better through his YouTube channel TheSketchMonkey and on Instagram @thesketchmonkey
StartThe basic tools used in this course (3:40)
StartStruggling sketching straight, smooth lines? Try this (4:19)
StartAccuracy practice - Learn to sketch perfect curves (6:15)
StartThe easy way to draw circles
StartEllipse practice from narrow to wide, what to think about (4:04)
StartBasic perspective exercise and how to easily sketch radiuses (5:49)
StartCombining basic elements to design products (4:51)
StartHow to use lines to visualize shading and shadows (4:45)
StartBlock out the design using simple geometries, then add details (9:07)
StartTransportation design proportions - SUV (5:47)
StartTransportation design proportions - Minivan (5:10)
StartTransportation design proportions - Sports car (10:37)